Your smile often requires several forms of examinations and care beyond keeping your teeth clean from microscopic damage in the form of bacteria and germs. In several instances, there may be an oral health condition that is occurring that is putting not only your smile at risk but also your health, which could include sleep apnea. For more information about sleep apnea, see below:
– Sleep apnea can arise due to obstructive sleep apnea which occurs due to blocks in your air flow, or central sleep apnea, which occurs due to interrupted brain signals.
– Treating sleep apnea includes the use of adjusting sleeping habits, oral appliances, or surgical procedures.
– If sleep apnea is left untreated, it can increase your risk for high blood pressure, ADHD, stroke or heart failure.
– Genetic predispositions or extensive weight gain can increase your risk for sleep apnea.
– Common risk factors for sleep apnea include males over the age of 40, a large set of tonsils or tongue or nasal obstruction.
– CPAP devices, also known as continuous positive air pressure devices, can help improve your breathing while you sleep by opening up your airway.
If you require sleep apnea treatments in Portland, Oregon, Powell Boulevard Dental would love to assist you. For a thorough examination to determine which treatments will work best for you, you can set an appointment with Dr. Denise M. Walthour by calling our dental office at 503-235-7181.