Your teeth are protected from damage by a thin layer of coating called tooth enamel. However, tooth enamel is not an impenetrable shield, and there are many ways its defense can be weakened. The most common tactic used by bacteria to remove the layer is through plaque buildup and sugar. When layers of bacteria build up into plaque, they convert the sugars we eat into harmful acids, which can eat through tooth enamel, causing cavities.
Protect your smile forever. Prevent cavities, by practicing these oral health care habits:
– Visit our team at Powell Boulevard Dental during your scheduled dental checkups for oral examinations and professional cleanings.
– Use additional cleaning devices, such as mouthwash, to wash away food particles and harmful bacteria.
– Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar can be transformed into harmful acids by plaque in your mouth that can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Floss daily with dental floss or an approved dental flossing instrument.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can facilitate the production of saliva, which can help avoid cavities.
– Eat healthy foods and try to avoid snacking throughout the day.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and a sleek smile-serving toothbrush with soft bristles.
– Improve your oral hygiene by practicing more effective tactics to brush and floss.
If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Denise M. Walthour, please call our office at 503-235-7181. You can also make an appointment by visiting our office in Portland, Oregon. Your smile deserves the greatest of care, and we can gladly provide it.